[CQ-Contest] ARRL to allow self-spotting in contests

kq2m at kq2m.com kq2m at kq2m.com
Wed Feb 16 11:14:34 EST 2022

Appalling rule change.  It is usually the worst and most unpopular rules
changes that are the ones made without consultation and I don't think
that is a coincidence - this rule change and the WPX contest elimination
of the SO NON-assisted category come to mind.  Both were railroaded
through even though the clear majority of the contest participants and
ESPECIALLY the most serious ops, were against these changes.

Al asks "What's next".  What's next is automated self-spotting at the
exact minimum time allowed.  So if the rule is "no self-spotting without
waiting a minimum of 10 minutes" then there will almost certainly be a
proliferation of self-spotting devices that will automatically spot that
station every 10:00.00 exactly; **480** times during an ARRLDX weekend
for a SINGLE-OP.  A potentially absurd **2,880** times during an ARRLDX
weekend for a M/M (6 bands and allowed to spot on each band separately -
right?)

What an INSANE waste of bandwidth and resources especially when
multiplied by potentially THOUSANDS of participants during the weekend!

What are the DX Summit and spotting clusters going to do with this level
of volume?  Anyone at the ARRL think about that?

This is what happens when non-contesters are allowed to make rules by
FIAT and without consultation.  Any REAL contester, including the
Assisted ops and Multi stations, would be against such an absurd and
destructive rule change.

I STRONGLY suggest that ALL of us make our feelings known at the league.
  Perhaps we should send an email every 10 minutes to them to make the
point of what it will be like DURING a contest?

Bob, KQ2M