[CQ-Contest] Self spotting in tests

Stephen Bloom sbloom at acsalaska.net
Wed Feb 16 21:16:22 EST 2022

I can guess the reasons for each, though I completely disagree with WPX and think the ARRL made a hash of it.WPX, simple.  TPTB want out of the "did they or didn't they" DQ judgements.  They have enough problem with HP/LP and while one *can* usually figure out who has a impossibly strong signal, Assisted or not is tougher, and while there are many exceptions,  dedicated "a boy and his radio" serious contester is more a North American thing.ARRL.  Two things.  First is the W2RE stream.  RHR does it's own thing.  They promote to and are popular with the younger ops, and they will keep pushing the envelope, no matter what.  Second, and again this is a guess.  I noticed that the new rules are very specific about what *is* allowed, chat rooms, streaming etc.  Not just allowing it by deleting the existing rules against it, but instead, encouraging it.  They are making a bet that RHR is on to something, that the future is a merging of radiosport and online gaming.  I wouldn't bet against it, but I also believe we will be using CW in contests fifty years from now, and that there always needs to be a place for a boy/girl and his/her radio, and that even if the rules didn't require it, something more than a CAC announcement (which face it, almost noone reads) was required.  Someone(s) decided there would just be endless debate if they put it out to the Community and decided, better to ask forgiveness than permission.   Not great for trust, and there is no getting to the future without the support of the present.73Steve KL7SB160M RTTY ManagerNorth Pole Contest Group KL7RA
-------- Original message --------From: MARK BAILEY <kd4d at comcast.net> Date: 2/16/22  3:52 PM  (GMT-09:00) To: cq-contest at contesting.com Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spotting in tests Or, as Sterling, N0SSC, points out with his reference to "stream sniping," someone can have their social media team plant fake spots that look like self spots for their competitors on the wrong frequencies.  Or spam the networks entirely.The opportunities for "trolling" are multiplied as the internet social networks and spotting networks become more and more important in the game.  Time to go research "stream sniping".  :-)73,Mark, KD4D> On 02/16/2022 3:56 PM RT Clay <rt_clay at bellsouth.net> wrote:> >  > Sometimes rare mult stations are swamped by too many callers (think VY1 in SS). With the new rule maybe they could flood the system with spots with the wrong frequency to thin out their pileups :)> Tor N4OGW> >     On Wednesday, February 16, 2022, 02:37:42 PM CST, Bill kollenbaum - K4XS via CQ-Contest <cq-contest at contesting.com> wrote:  >  >  I'm trying to figure out if this rule change is dumber than the WPX (combining assisted and SO categories.  I think the ARRL one is dumber.> Why S/P? Everyone is going to look for spots.  For the common W1, JA1 or DJ1 this rule really stinks.  I suppose the rare and semi-rare stations will really be helped with the rule change.  I will probably benefit from it but the rule sucks.  Now ever five minutes or so you spot and rebuild the pile up.> I have yet to hear a good reason for the WPX change and will be waiting  for the rational behind this one.  Please don't tell me, "we couldn't enforce the no spot rule".  Lots of rules are hard to enforce, power, rubber clocking, multi-ops that are4 really single ops etc.> Bill K4XS/KH7XS/V31XX> _______________________________________________> CQ-Contest mailing list> CQ-Contest at contesting.com> http://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/cq-contest>   > _______________________________________________> CQ-Contest mailing list> CQ-Contest at contesting.com> http://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/cq-contest_______________________________________________CQ-Contest mailing listCQ-Contest at contesting.comhttp://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/cq-contest