[CQ-Contest] Contesting/Computer glasses?

Joe nss at mwt.net
Fri Feb 18 11:59:44 EST 2022

I am sorry if I sound so forceful on this subject of the cheap ones.

It is because if you think walmart is bad, the prescription glasses
industry is 1000 times worse.

When I quit the business only three companies controlled the whole
market. and I think it is now down to two or maybe even one.

I worked with dozens if not hundreds of doctors.  I was at a company
that actually made the glasses for the Doctor. 99% of the doctors do not
make their glasses they send it off to a lab like I worked at to make them.

It took me years to convince my own wife that her readers that she had a
eye doc make for her for almost 400 bucks, work no better than my 2
dollar ones. They got to be better! they cost 400 bucks,  till I took
her prescription and bought a $1.50 version of the same strength and
said try these, she could not believe she could see just the same.

The eyeglass industry is a HUGE ripoff.

My lab bought the lens blanks for like 5 bucks a pair. like 10 minutes
in the machine in the lab and they are done.
add another 5 bucks for the frame,,  labor is nothing, honestly, I was
making geez 30 to 50 pairs of glasses a hour.

so we got like $11 bucks in cost, we sell them to the doc for 100 bucks,
and then he sells them to you for 300/400,

when a 2 buck one is exactly the same. there is ZERO difference between
the drugstore 2 buck readers and the 400 doc readers, optics is optics
just because it costs more does not make any difference.

a dipole made form wire that you paid a dollar foot doesnt work any less
well than a dipole you paid 100 dollars a foot for.

Plain antenna digital antenna.

I just hate to see people waste money when this is sooo simple.

Think about it,,

Doc says

what is clearer A or B

Now C or D

or you standing by the 2 buck rack,

what is clearer this pair, or this pair?

No difference, just costs 1% as much.

again only if you do not have astigmatism.

Joe WB9SBD W9ET