[CQ-Contest] Mode-X

David Gilbert ab7echo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 12:44:38 EST 2022

As AB1J pointed out, a better contest mode using FT8-type signal
processing techniques isn't required have anything to do with CW. I
merely included that in my posts to show that digital processing
techniques using FEC, LPDC, and Costas Arrays could be incorporated in a
way that didn't look digital at all, and virtually no different than ...
for example ... CW.

AB1J may have been right that I confused the issue by including mention
of CW, but all it tells me is that  nobody is really thinking very
seriously about this stuff anyway if they can't tell the difference.
Thousands of hams have flocked to FT8 because of its superior weak
signal performance in spite of its needlessly rigid format, but almost
nobody in the contesting world is willing to even consider applying
those same processing techniques to a mode more favorable to
contesting.    I find that kind of sad, but I'm through flogging this
horse.  You will hear no more from me on it.

Over and out,
Dave   AB7E