[CQ-Contest] AMERITRON ATR-30 on 160M

Naumann, Robert, W5OV w5ov at arrl.org
Wed Feb 23 09:07:09 EST 2022

Richard,

The simple answer is that the 43' antenna is too short for 160, as-is.

AD5X has written the complete 43' vertical article, and includes several solutions to this problem.

The multi-relay switching system he designed using MFJ coil stock and a 4:1 un-un works very well.

KL7RA(sk) called me a liar when I told him my antenna was a 43' vertical.  He said it was impossible for me to have such a strong signal on 160 with a 43' vertical.

It worked very well, indeed.

73,

Bob W5OV