[CQ-Contest] AMERITRON ATR-30 on 160M

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Wed Feb 23 11:20:07 EST 2022

The 43 foot vertical is way too short for top band and it is too long for
the higher bands. Top loading it with either several equally spaced wires
coming back to the ground on a slope or as an inverted L would help it a lot
on 160m.

John KK9A

Naumann, Robert, W5OV wrote:

Richard,

The simple answer is that the 43' antenna is too short for 160, as-is.

AD5X has written the complete 43' vertical article, and includes several
solutions to this problem.

The multi-relay switching system he designed using MFJ coil stock and a 4:1
un-un works very well.

KL7RA(sk) called me a liar when I told him my antenna was a 43' vertical.
He said it was impossible for me to have such a strong signal on 160 with a
43' vertical.

It worked very well, indeed.

73,

Bob W5OV