[CQ-Contest] SCP, Call history files and reality

PHILIP ALLARDICE kt3y at aol.com
Mon Jan 17 02:58:36 EST 2022

I have only used call history files a few times.  In my experience,
roughly 20% of the information is incorrect (wrong QTH/zone,
 check, name, etc) so if you don’t actually copy what is sent,
your error rate increases significantly. Yes, such files reduce the
amount of typing but you still better listen closely, so I rarely use
them.

I often operate the CQ WPX full time.  It is not a trivial matter to copy
serial numbers correctly.  I will ask for multiple repeats due to the following
factors: QRN/QRM/QSB, poor sending and the simple fact that adjacent
numbers are quite similar.  Sometimes I “zone out” too.

I am not complaining about folks using straight keys, bugs or paddles
rather than software to call me since I want more callers.  That said, a fair
number of operators cannot send serial #s or their calls consistently so I
ask for multiple repeats.  If I called the station, and am uncertain,  I will wait
to hear the exchange again or doublecheck the call.

Super Check Partial can, at times, be of some help pulling out a call but there
are still plenty of errors in it too,  including new or unlisted calls with one or two
similar sounding letters.

From what I have seen, active contesters develop their own mental database
of familiar contest calls. Sometimes I send the call by hand so I have time to
mentally retrieve and process a likely call. That helps me much more than SCP
or a history file that is predicated on a correct call.   I can’t count the number
of times, especially on the low bands, where I copy only a partial call but can
send a correct call in reply.

The Stew Perry Topband contest uses Grid Squares.  It took me time
to get the hang of it.  Take a look at the results which list the # of busted
calls and grids.  It can be humbling.

All of the major contests provide log checking reports. Why not use it to see
where you fall short, then try to improve your skill and score?

73,
Phil KT3Y ( usually at KP2M)