[CQ-Contest] calculating CW duty cycle

AB2E Darrell ab2e at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 4 22:16:37 EDT 2022

Greetings John & the group,
The antenna in question is the PreciseRF HG3 QRO, an MLA loop, advertised at 1500W.
When I dug into the actual specs, it's 50% duty cycle for CW at 800W, and 25% duty cycle at 1500W.
I would be using an SPE 1.5K-Series III amp, so will likely have to run it in the low power position, driven by an Elecraft K3.
That's OK, still 6db stronger than 100W.

Now that I'm 70, I'm having to rule out a lot of stuff I could do before due some developing health issues.
Now maybe I'm better off taking a chance and trying to string a dipole between 2 palm trees rather than trying this MLA, but my recent
experiences with AirBnb's in a couple islands, I've gotten negative responses to my inquiries about putting up antennas.
Most of the great rent-a-shacks are always occupied, or sky high in price.

The HG3 QRO takes up minimal space and could be set up easily in the back yard of the villa without attracting attention.
Yes, I know all these things involve tradeoffs, but may mean the difference between getting to go somewhere and operate or not.

73 to all,
Darrell AB2E