[CQ-Contest] follow up question to call for ARRL Digi stories

Stanley Zawrotny k4sbz.stan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 17:41:11 EDT 2022

Jeff,

I used GridTracker to monitor the band that I was working.  It’s not an alternative to WSJT-X, but is a popular add-on. There are a number of features that aided in the contest. Just a couple are:

-  The map of all the grids that WSJT-X was reporting. This would show in what direction the band was currently active and which countries were being heard. It would alert me early to shifts from Europe to new calls from the Far East and Oceania. I could visually see where the action was.

-  In another window, it would show a list of all the calls, with accompanying information such as continent, country, state, grid, who they we’re currently (or last) working, signal strength, etc. that list could be filtered several ways such as new calls, not my DXCC, etc. The list could be sorted on any column. I sometimes sorted on signal strength to show the strongest stations first. I would filter out calls already worked. Double clicking on a call would activate it in WSJT-X.

Also, it’s not involved in making contacts, but I had a window open for Online Scoreboard.  It enabled me to see how my club and I were doing against the competition. This provided much needed motivation when things got slow near the end of the contest.

Stan, K4SBZ

"Real radio bounces off the sky."