[CQ-Contest] Let's find a better metaphor

Art Boyars artboyars at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 08:47:51 EDT 2022

(Or is it a simile?)

We've been talking about various operating aids being "crutches" (spotting,
super check partial, call history files, HQ station ID lists, computer
logging, electronic keyers, SSB, radio telephone, narrow band filters,
superhet receivers, CW (vs. spark)...)

There is an ancient saying in one of my communities, "while I stand on one
foot".  It means the student (or questioner) expects a simple answer to a
complicated and complex question.  E.g., "Tell me how to get my Extra Class
license while I stand on one foot."

I stopped using that saying a few years ago when we became close friends
with a family where the father had lost a leg in a war.  He was getting
advanced medical treatment to try to stretch the remnant of his femur so
that he could be fitted with a prosthetic leg... so he could walk without
crutches and so he could pick up his kids.

Except for a few frauds, I don't think anybody who uses crutches uses them
to gain an advantage.  Rather, they use crutches just to try to keep up
with those of us who have normal abilities (whatever that is).

I'm NOT arguing about whether any of these forms of assistance should be
allowed.  I'm only suggesting that we stop calling them "crutches".  Let's
find a better metaphor, or let's use plain language and call them "help".

73, Art K3KU

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>