[CQ-Contest] Getting more SSB spots

Pete Smith N4ZR pete.n4zr at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 09:33:31 EST 2022

Some of you may have read my post about using this weekend's ARRL DX
contest to try for more countries on 160.  Well, the contest on that
band is effectively over, and the results are in.  I used Spot Collector
to give only 160-meter spots this weekend, and since Friday
night/Saturday morning I've received precisely 5, of which only one was
DX .  This phenomenon, unfortunately, is precisely what leads to stupid
rule changes like ARRL's "self-spotting" idea.

It's sad, too, because something more than half of contesters use N1MM
Logger+, which has a convenient, zero-effort way to fix this.  On the
Config menu in the Entry window, N1MM has the option to "automatically
spot all new S&P QSOs".  If you check this option, you will spot every
S&P QSO you make, where the station has not been spotted within the last
10 minutes on the same band and mode. Imagine what a huge difference
this would make if even half of N1MM users turned it on.

73, Pete N4ZR

web server at<http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.