[CQ-Contest] Encouraging Spotting of SSB QSOs in Contests

Pete Smith N4ZR pete.n4zr at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 10:44:00 EST 2022

I've been appalled by how few stations spot in phone contests, even
though N1MM+ (and perhaps other contest logging programs) offer the
option of spotting all S&P QSOs, regardless of mode.

It's been suggested to me that some non-assisted contest entrants may be
deterred because of concern that they might risk disqualification if
frequent spots attributed to them are seen on the cluster network.  If
that's a significant deterrent, which seems somewhat credible, then
perhaps the sponsors of the major contests should singly or collectively
announce that the appearance of spots attributed to non-assisted
competitors will not, by themselves, be considered  evidence of assisted
status.

Then how would illicit assisted operation be detected?  15 years ago,
CT1BOH and VE5ZX authored a paper on how to identify undisclosed
two-radio or assisted operation through log analysis.  With the
capabilities now available to us, and the near-universal acceptance of
open logs, it seems to me that the means exist for detecting undisclosed
assistance without making assumptions based on spotting.

So what say, contest organizers?

--
73, Pete N4ZR
web server at<https://reversebeacon.net>.