[CQ-Contest] QSO Party Rules

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Sep 19 05:17:44 EDT 2022

On 9/18/2022 4:54 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
> Nonetheless, I have to wonder why anyone would boycott a particular QSO
> party because of its rules.

It matters whether the "home" QSO parties are there to work on the bands
where distant participants can work them. It's no fun to work a QSO
party when you can't hear the guys you're trying to work, which causes
you not bother with those parties. Many of us LOVE state QSO parties
WHEN we can work them, and the serious in-state participants need us as
mults, just as they need US as mults.

Contests are about competition, and if I can't work mults, I'm not
competitive, and it's no fun. Many of us ENJOY tracking mobiles through
dozens of counties. That's an important part of the better QSO parties.

The guys who coordinate and participate in CQP work very hard to make
sure that all CA counties are workable from all of NA. Our CQP team
activates one or more CA counties with serious multi-setup portable
operations, and we've activated 5-6 rare NV or UT counties for 7QP with
stations that are easily workable on the two or three bands with prop to
all of NA. Our goal is to make working CQP and 7QP fun for out of state
participants throughout NA. and even EU. There are EU stations who take
these contests seriously, all because we don't sit on 40M and work
locals for in-state mults.

Scoring rules MATTER -- they establish the nature of the contest, who
can have fun because they are competitive, who can't. QSO parties are
more fun for both in-state/region participants if they have more
stations to work, and stations that need the higher bands to work them
will water their lawns when they can't.

73, Jim K9YC