[CQ-Contest] Antenna Analyzer Expert

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Feb 6 21:21:25 EST 2023

On 2/6/2023 10:16 AM, David Gilbert wrote:
> The one I always use now, though, is the FA-VA5.

It's a very nice and very capable analyzer, designed for use in the
field. But one of its most useful capabilities is that it can operate
under the control of DG8SAQ's control software written for his excellent
VNWA. Using that software, the FA-VA5 can do all of the single-port
measurements that the more expensive VNWA can do (but over a more
limited frequency range), including TDR, and can export impedance data
to programs like SimSmith and ZPlots.

Both analyzers are sold by SDR-Kits, some hams in the UK. I've owned the
VNWA for more than ten years -- it's NOT a kit, is sold fully built and
tested. It's the Rolls Royce of ham Vector Network Analyzers. The FA-VA5
is sold both as a kit and fully built. I built the kit.

73, Jim K9YC