[CQ-Contest] Alfred A Laun, III K3ZO SK

Charles H. Harpole hs0zcw at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 00:11:10 EST 2023

K3ZO
      I have to speak out personally upon news of the passing of Fred K3ZO.
Lovingly married to a wonderful Thai lady who passed before him, I like to
think of Fred and she walking arm and arm, now together again. Their
lifetime bonding was a delight to see. When they visited her family in
Bangkok, Fred took some time then to visit me for a couple of days. He and
I spent that precious time on my home balcony just talking from morning
until well into each night. He had his CokeCola and I had sparkling water
so we were invigorated only by our conversations. I treasure the wisdom he
brought.
   Fred (HS0ZAR) was a powerful supporter of Thailand ham radio and the
RAST club. Speaking fluent Thai, he invigorated all with quiet leadership
and advice. He even filled many contest logs as a guest operator here.
Many hams around the world knew and respected him and watched for his
steady, exemplary contesting skill.
    I did not know how much I loved him until he passed.   Now I do know
how much I already miss our long Skype conversations that filled in.   Fred
was a dear friend and a gentleman of the old school-- a fine human being.
73 Fred

On Thu, Jan 5, 2023 at 7:02 AM Luc DXBrasil <py8azt at dxbrasil.net> wrote:

> Every ham radio operator active on the past 5 decades or more had been
> touched by Fred's kindness somehow. My first contact happened when I was
> 12. He answered my slow CQ, as he knew it was my first long distance
> contact on Morse Code.
>
> His kindness was crystal clear anytime he answered my CQ over the last
> decades since then. Even in the middle of a DX or Contest pileup, K3ZO
> popped up from the crowd not as the strongest signal, but the friendliest
> one.
>
> --
> 73, Luc
> PY8AZT