[CQ-Contest] Reciprocity in signal strength

David Gilbert ab7echo at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 12:53:53 EST 2023

The most likely reason for a difference in readability is a difference
in local signal strength, but it is also possible that one end of the
potential contact has greater QRM ... either from propagation
differences (such as if he can hear a multitude of stations near you
that you can't because of skip), or if he prefers to listen with a wider
bandwidth, or if he has a receiver that pounds the AGC from strong
signals 10 KHz away while your receiver has good close in immunity.

In my mind, there is another possible for signals arriving at very low
angles and certain QTH's ... although almost nobody agrees with me.
Imagine two terrain features that are relatively close together and
higher than the surround terrain, with one of those terrain features
being higher than the other.  A signal arriving at a low enough angle
would see a different terrain from one direction than the other since
the lower terrain feature would be completely shaded by the higher
feature from one direction, but not the other.  My personal opinion is
that the infamous and debatable "one way skip" could be caused by
something like that.  I've tried to figure out a way to use HFTA to
demonstrate that, but HFTA ignores takeoff angles below the assumed
horizon so it doesn't work to just define an unrealistically high
tower.  Maybe somebody else has an idea on how to do it ... maybe with a
program like H.O.B.B.I.E.S or FEKO.

73,
Dave   AB7E