[CQ-Contest] Reciprocity in signal strength

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Jan 22 14:11:46 EST 2023

On 1/22/2023 7:19 AM, Tom Hellem wrote:
> That sounds reasonable on paper. But in the real world it seems more complicated than that. Local noise can really throw things out of whack. When I operate from my city qth, I’m hamstrung with a constant S-5 noise level, and at times it gets up to S-8. There is no doubt it costs me 100’s of q’s in a contest.

Yes, I've long been convinced that many (most?( instances assigned to
"one way propagation" are really differences in RX noise, or of
propagation from directions on the other end of the QSO that are
stronger than other than mine. One example is a few hours after the
start of 160M contests, when I'm hearing bigger east coast stations
plenty well enough to copy, but they don't hear me. Yes, directional RX
antennas on both ends is a factor, but because the band is open to the
east for them, they have both signals and noise propagated from the east.

73, Jim K9YC