[CQ-Contest] Reciprocity in signal strength

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Jan 23 15:28:40 EST 2023

On 1/23/2023 5:55 AM, Chuck Dietz wrote:
> I have occasionally observed times on 10 and 6 meters when signals seem
> much stronger in one direction than the other. This is measurable to some
> extent by the signal reports on FT8.

Signal reports in FT8 are signal to noise ratio, NOT strength. Also,
JTDX, which many of us use because it often decodes weak signals that
WSJT-X misses, uses a different algorithm for computing that report
(usually many dB lower). OTOH, it has been reported by good observers
that JTDX has problems decoding signals with time instability that
WSJT-X decodes just fine. So it's like RTTY, where multiple decoders are
a good move.

73, Jim K9YC