[CQ-Contest] Self Spotting

jpescatore at aol.com jpescatore at aol.com
Thu Mar 9 09:55:06 EST 2023

Hi, Stan - In the big club I'm in (PVRC) I'm in the minority for not liking self spotting and I'm not even trying to change the decision to allow it. I'm just looking for a way not to take advantage of it because it doesn't feel right to me. If the AR cluster filter syntax allowed me to simply filter out CALL=SPOTTER I'd just do that, but it doesn't and W9PA says no chance of that happening soon.
History files don't feel right to me, either - so I don't use them. To be honest, I kinda enjoy that when I'm operating a VA station remotely and am JOHN VA vs. JOHN MD that the number of ops who bust my exchange jumps 3x!  K3ZO used to quote Lenny W3GRF and say "It is a listening contest just as much, if not more, than a sending contest..." Of course, Fred never used filters, either...
So, I voiced my opinion to the CAC, self spotting was approved - no problem.  Just looking for some tools to differentiate, just the way if I was anti-Internet (I'm not) I can choose to filter out non-human spots.
73 John K3TN