Computer Configuration

Robert A. Wilson n6tv@VNET.IBM.COM
Sun, 23 Jul 95 17:28:13 PDT

Ref:  Your note of Sat, 22 Jul 1995 17:12:27 +0000

I don't think these configurations will work very well with CT.  Too
many port and IRQ conflicts.  Suggest you try a LogicTech bus mouse
on IRQ 2 instead of using serial mice, thereby freeing up one serial
port/IRQ for other purposes.

The Ethernet cards and sound cards will not coexist gracefully with the
DVP.  You will need to move addresses and IRQs even if you are not
"using them both at the same time."  Suggest you remove the sound cards
and Ethernet cards before a phone contest, substituting in your DVP.

All COM ports must have a unique IRQ if you are going to use them all
with CT.

In theory, you can cut a trace on the DVP board, and run a wire from
a PC prototyping board that has been cut in half and inserted into
the second half of the edge connector holding the DVP, giving you the
DVP on IRQ 10, 11, 12 or 15, but I don't know anyone who has done
this.  At Dayton K1EA said he would change DVPTSR so that the software
would accept such high IRQ numbers (max is 7 today).

By the way, W5XD just announced multi-transmitter networking support
using Ethernet and Windows for Workgroups, instead of via serial ports,
so there are other options to consider.  WriteLog doesn't support the
DVP; it uses sound cards instead.  If you can get the levels right and
rig up your own PTT line, it could work OK (no BACKCOPY, however).

73,
Bob, N6TV

--
Submissions:              ct-user@eng.pko.dec.com