request for CT feature

K3NA@aol.com K3NA@aol.com
Tue, 7 Mar 1995 19:35:58 -0500

Hi Ken and the gang --

   Bill N3RR and I were chatting about our recent contest experiences.  Bill
operated SOAssisted... and we brainstormed a new CT feature that would be fun
for SOA-types (as a minimum) and maybe others as well.

   In a multi-multi environment, Alt-G is a useful way to bug other operators
within the station.  That Alti-I window pops up on their screen with the new
message, and hangs around until they toggle it closed.  The chit-chat is fun
and often helpful.

   We suggest that the Alt-G function be expanded to work outside the local
station.  For example, assume N3RR is in SOA.  If he could use Alt-G to send
a one-liner to other stations in a "correspondent's list" via the
packetclusters network, the contest would be more fun and, withing the club
territory, single-op types could share some of the thrill like we do in
multi-ops.

   Yes, of course one can use a packet Talk message... but it doesn't work as
well:
a) Talk messages only go to one other station.
b) the receipt of a Talk message causes a very fleeting notice to flash on
the bottom of the screen... and it can disappear quickly so that one doesn't
even know it has been receive.  The Alt-I window is much more prominent!

   So the proposal is thus:
a) when setting up CT for a contest, one can create a correspondent's list of
up to 8 stations to whom one can Gab during the contest.
b) Alt-G works just like in a multi-multi, but the Gab message goes out over
the cluster network to those other correspondent stations as a set of cluster
Talk messages.
c) Upon receipt, a Talk message from a designated "correspondent" is posted
in the Alt-I window.

   What do you think, gang?

   Ancillary question:  should this feature be inaccessible for single op
UNassisted stations?  (I think so, just to avoid facilitating any
rules-hedging...)

-- Eric K3NA

k3na@aol.com

--