CT networked via Ethernet ???

Robert Chudek K0RC@pclink.com
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 03:03:25 +0000

>I have several ethernet connected computers in the shack (10Base2 or thin
net) and run a kw
>on HF, 2 meters, and 440.  No problem with RF getting into the computers
and no problem with
>computer interference with reception and I do a fair amount of weak signal
VHF work. The ethernet
>then connects my office computer as well as an ISDN router and a Shiva
network modem.  Again,
>no problem.  The keeper of CT should (in my opinion) add conventional
(i.e., ethernet) network
>support to the program.  There aren't enough serial ports to go around and
they're much to slow.
>They are also impossible to set up in a hurry.  I use CT at my contest QTH,
V31DX, serial
>networked to support both run and multiplier computers.  Ethernet would be
MUCH easier to
>set up and maintain.
>Your thoughts?
>
>John
>V31DX / N6YRU

I too have 10Base-T ethernet run around my QTH connecting 3 Novell
fileservers, and numerous
PC's & Macintosh computers through several 8-port hubs.  Likewise, I do not
experience RFI
in either direction.  I find the most offending component to be certain VGA
monitors that
generate birdies in the ham bands.  Oh yes, and my electronic waterbed
heater that I first
thought was a neighbors electric fence! At my last QTH, I ran the ethernet
system on standard
thin net wiring (RG-58/u coax and BNC Tee connectors) without any RFI problems.

I DID create plenty of problems for the neighborhood stereos, TV's, radios,
phones, and all
the other $9.95 electronic appliances they could not live without!  :-)
Hence my relocation
to 28 acres in the countryside.  I realized life is too short to re-engineer
everyones toys.

Having worked with ethernet systems over the past 10 years, I have yet to
discover an RFI
problem at a customer site.  I HAVE discovered poor terminations and
intermittant BNC
connectors and Tee connectors that will bring a segment or complete LAN
down.  But this
is no different than a bad connection to your feedline and/or antenna.

I also would like to see ethernet support included with CT.  With
peer-to-peer support,
not much would need to change, but if the client/server model were
implemented, it could
be a major rewrite of the code.  I asked Ken about this a couple of years
ago at Dayton
and received the famous smile!

73 de Bob - K0RC
k0rc@pclink.com