ICOM 736 works fine with CT, 738 should work

Bob Fabry--N6EK fabry@surf.com
Thu, 25 Jan 1996 14:01:38 +0000

If everybody else knows this, forgive me.  We are taking two Icom 736's to
Wake Island next week and I wanted to see if the CT computer control worked.
All I had to do was tell the radio to pretend it was a 735 and to set CT for
the 735 and everything worked fine.  Details follow:

Both frequency and mode changes initiated in CT are conveyed to the radio.
Band changes made on the radio are conveyed to CT.  Mode changes made on the
radio are not conveyed to CT.  I did not check whether CT gets the exact
frequency of the radio correctly.

As you may know, each ICOM radio type has its own address.  The address for
a 735 is "04H".  To configure the 736 to pretend it is a 735, you must set
this address which is #12 on the special settings menu to "04H".  I thought
I might have to also change the setting for the number of bytes used to
convey the frequency, which has apparently changed between the 735 and the
736, but this was not required.

The 738 is the same radio without the AC power supply and the six meter
band.  I am quite sure the 738 will work with CT, although I did not try it.

73, Bob
Please note my new e-mail address is fabry@surf.com

WWW:                      http://ve7tcp.ampr.org/Software/ct
Questions:                owner-ct-user@ve7tcp.ampr.org