[ct-user] VE7TCP.AMPR.ORG Status Report

Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TCP) lyndon@ve7tcp.ampr.org
Sat, 23 Nov 1996 22:47:40 -0700

At long last I'm pleased (*very pleased*) to announce that
ve7tcp.ampr.org is back online!

Since my move to VE6 (in August) things have not gone well for
the system. Shortly after I moved the system started crashing with
increasing frequency. While I was able to do some work on the
system from my new location, being behind a firewall made this
difficult, and a hectic work schedule didn't help. I finally
gave up on the old configuration and asked the folks in Prince
George who were looking after the machine for me to pull the
the disks and ship them out to me. Meanwhile, I ordered a new
motherboard and some additional disk for the server.

What the new (and old) hardware was on its way here my own
server died, taking me completely off the Internet, and
delaying work on the ve7tcp server for several weeks. I was
finally able to get the ve7tcp server back together last week,
and back onto the Internet this weekend.

Quite a few changes have taken place. The system has been upgraded
to a 100 MHz Pentium, a different version of the OS, and has
an additional 2GB of disk storage. We've also upgraded quite
a bit of the 3rd party software to more current versions. In
particular, a new version of the mailing list software has
been installed that will (hopefully) be a bit more intelligent
about refusing subscriptions from bogus e-mail addresses. This
means faster delivery times for mailing list traffic as the
system won't waste time trying to deliver messages to the bogus
addresses. I'm also hoping to have digest versions of the lists
available shortly.

I'm also planning on some additional hardware upgrades in the
new year. In particular we need to get a tape drive onto the
machine in order to get some backups happening. More on this
in a few weeks.

There are still a few rough edges, but for the most part the
system is once again functional. We'll be patching up the
remaining bits over the next couple of weeks. If you notice
something amiss, please send a (detailed) description of
the problem to root@ve7tcp.ampr.org and we'll do our best to
get it fixed.

Finally, my thanks to Jim Reisert (AD1C) for taking care of the
machine while I was moving and for assisting in the resurrection,
Larry Gadallah (VE7UDP/K6) for babysitting, and to Jim and
Rob at MAG-NET in Prince George for hanging on while the
patient was very sick (and continuing to host the mailing list
fanout system).

--lyndon

WWW:                      http://www.ve7tcp.ampr.org/Software/ct
Questions:                owner-ct-user@ve7tcp.ampr.org