[ct-user] HOW MANY COM PORTS ??

Michael A. McCarthy, W1NR Michael A. McCarthy, W1NR" <wa1uar@eecorp.com
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 18:36:56 -0500

You have basically two options, but depending on what else you have,
you might run out of IRQ's...

There are many 4 port COM boards that have "high" IRQ's for COM3 and 4.
These are available at Comp-USA, Computer City, etc.  They don't need
special drivers, however, if you want to use all 4 ports at the same
time, you need to use seperate IRQ's.  There are also 3 port printer
cards that can be configured the same way.  With those 2 boards, you
spend 7 IRQ's.  There are only 9 available at the most.

However, CT Version 9 does have a driver for  a Digiboard (or is it
Digiport) 8 port serial card that uses a single IRQ.  These require
special drivers for Windows, DOS, CT9 etc. because of the IRQ sharing.
They are also quite expensive last time I looked.  They may or may not
work with some software.

I use a 4 port card from SIDE that I bought at Comp-USA (Around $100
with all 4 ports populated with UART's).  I also have a PS/2 mouse which
lets me use all 4 serial ports for other things.  A mouse must be on
COM1 or COM2 or be a PS/2 or BUS type mouse.

73,
Mike

--
**************** Give Every Man His Dew **************