[ct-user] PS/2 Reference Disk

Hsu, Aaron Hsu, Aaron" <aaron.hsu@unistudios.com
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 15:16:34 -0800

The "DELETE" key option only works on certain BIOS' from AMI and Award.  As
mentioned before, you'll need a PS/2 Reference Disk for the specific PS/2
model you have.  The Reference Disk is the "SETUP" program for PS/2's.
They're available on IBM's website or BBS

If you have an older 85xx series PS/2 (eg. 8570-016), you'll need to boot
from a Reference Disk.  If you have a 95xx series of PS/2 (eg. 9577-BNG),
then the Reference program may be in a hidden partition on the hard drive.
One these systems, if the Reference program was installed on the HD, there
are two ways to start it:

1.  On older systems, after you turn on the system, wait until the cursor
"flys" to the top right of the screen and press <CTRL><ALT><INS>.  The
cursor should fly back to the top left and start the Reference program.

2.  On newer systems with the "SurePath" BIOS, a message should show up on
the bottom of the screen asking you to press <F1> to start the Reference
program...sorta self explainatory.

Once you get into the Ref program, do a "Set Features" to set the Time/Date,
keyboard speed, etc., then do a "Set Configuration" to modify the hardware
options.  Under "Change Configuration", scroll down to "Serial A" (or "B")
and set the proper I/O and IRQ.

Forget the DVP on this machine...won't work (wrong architecture).  If you
have the specific model of PS/2 handy, I can give you more info about it.  I
also have Ref Disks and .ADF files for most PS/2's and boards.  Sounds like
you might have a Model 90.

73,

  - Aaron Hsu, KD6DAE
    [athsu]@unistudios.com
    [dae]@pacbell.net
    No-QRO Int'l #1,000,006

  - Aaron Hsu
    Sr. Configuration Analyst
    Client Support Services
    Universal Studios Information Technology Group