[ct-user] ct 9.37 keying and win/95

Sante - IK0HBN Sante - IK0HBN <ik0hbn@isa.it>
Tue, 02 Jun 1998 21:05:05 +0100

--=====================_896814305==_

At 10.22 02/06/98 -0700, you wrote:
>It seems that several people are having the same trouble making keying
>work. I have the "erratic speed" problem described in several appends,
>as well as erratic pitch of the computer generated sidetone, as well as
>no keying signal at lpt1. For some (at least one that I've read) keying
>is working just fine. It was suggested that perhaps the win/95 setup is
>the problem. There was mention of earlier information in this reflector
>about how to use CT with win/95. I looked in archives for a while but
>found nothing before I gave up due the inefficiency of that process (no
>search engine, so have to read all the appends with a possibly relevant
>subject).
>
>So after that long prologue (sorry) here's the question: can someone
>summarize and/or give pointers to previous posts about use of CT with
>win/95 and win/nt?
>
>Thanks,
>Bill N7DZ
Hi Bill,
here is what I saved months ago form the YCCC home page.It's a clear
explanation of needed changes to your Windows95 settings. This should fix
the problem...amolst here it was so.

--=====================_896814305==_

[YCCC Logo]Yankee Clipper Contest Club

|[Home]|[About YCCC]|[Scuttlebutt]|[Image]|[Contest Cookbook]|[Links]|
[Feature Articles]|[Site News]|

Windows 95 Set-up Tips for CT

Copyright (c) 1996, Robert L. Hummel, WS1A
rhummel@monad.net

I have seen enough queries over time that I feel this information on DOS
and Win95 might be useful to CT users and the contest community as a whole.

In general, Windows 3.x respected the sovereignty of your computer system.
Windows assumed, for example, that you would install DOS, optimize your
memory configuration, and generally perform all the required low-level
work. But doing so properly often resulted in confusion and frustration for
new users.

Windows 95 is markedly different. It takes over your system completely,
installing not only itself, but a new version of MS-DOS as well. After
installation, it determines the configuration it needs and stores a record
of those options in a text configuration file named MSDOS.SYS.

In MS-DOS 6.22 and earlier versions of DOS, MSDOS.SYS was one of the two
binary files that made up the DOS system. (The other was called IO.SYS.)
Under MS-DOS 7, however, IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS have been combined into a
single file called IO.SYS. MSDOS.SYS is now an ordinary ASCII text file.
And by changing the settings in that file, you can wrest back control of
your system from Windows 95.

Prepping for Surgery

Before you can reconfigure your Windows 95 system, you'll need access to
your MSDOS.SYS file. From within Windows 95, click Start, point to
Programs, and then click MS-DOS Prompt. When the DOS prompt appears, type
the following commands:

C:
CD \
ATTRIB -R -S -H MSDOS.SYS
EDIT MSDOS.SYS

Alternately, you can click the Start button, point to Find, and then click
Files or Folders. In the Named box, type MSDOS.SYS and press Enter. Use
your right mouse button to click the MSDOS.SYS file, and then select
Properties. Click the Hidden and Read Only attributes so their checkboxes
are clear. Click OK. Finally, double-click the MSDOS.SYS file in the
results window to start the editor. (If an editor isn't associated with the
file, simply choose Notepad.)

Regardless of how you get to it, you'll see a file divided into sections by
bracketed titles, much the same way as the WIN.INI and SYSTEM.INI files
were under Windows 3.x.

The [Paths] section is straightforward, containing information about where
Windows 95 can find its files. The selection UninstallDir appears only if
you chose the option to uninstall Windows 95 during installation. The
comment at the end portion of the file is self-explanatory. Don't change
the entries in either of those sections.

The file section that we're interested in begins under the [Options]
heading. In Figure A, this section is empty. Your system may already
contain a few options that relate to networking or double buffering for
SCSI hard drives -- we won't change those. Table A (at the end of the
article) lists and defines the ten options that you can change to control
your system.

Before you make any changes to your MSDOS.SYS, back it up. Either copy the
file to another directory or a floppy disk or print out a copy. That way,
if you confuse things too badly, you can always restore your old
configuration.

Retrograde Windows

By picking and choosing your MSDOS.SYS options, you can program Windows 95
to suit your particular needs. But there's one configuration that's very
popular: making Windows 95 behave like your old DOS/Windows 3.x system. In
other words, when you turn on your PC, you'll boot to the DOS prompt. Then,
when you need it, you can start Windows with the WIN command. And finally,
when you exit Windows you'll return to DOS, just as you always have.

Doing so requires only a few changes to the [Options] section of your
MSDOS.SYS file. Any options that appear in your MSDOS.SYS file that aren't
specifically listed here should be left exactly as they are. The section
should contain the following commands:

Logo=3D0
BootWin=3D1
BootGUI=3D0
BootKeys=3D1
BootMulti=3D1
BootMenu=3D0
DisableLog=3D1

I'm one of those folks that are really bothered by the logo splash screen
that displays when Windows starts up -- its like an unwanted commercial. On
a practical note, the graphic covers up what's going on behind the scenes
-- things you may want to watch. Because you're booting into DOS, save a
few nanoseconds by setting Logo=3D0.

The BootWin=3D1 option says that you want to boot into the MS-DOS 7 system=
 --
not your previous version of DOS. Setting BootGUI=3D0 is the next key
component of this new configuration. It tells your system to stop loading

To provide the most flexibility, enable the BootKeys and BootMulti options
by setting them to 1. This lets you control the system's boot using the F4,
F5, SHIFT+F5, F6, F8, or SHIFT+F8 keys. The BootMenu=3D0 option suppresses
display of the boot menu unless you specifically activate it by pressing
F8.

By default, Windows writes a log to disk listing the programs and
components it loads. If the system is having trouble with new device
drivers or hardware, this can be useful information. But if the system is
running fine, writing the log just wastes time. To eliminate this
unnecessary disk activity during the boot sequence, disable the log by
setting DisableLog=3D1.

Finally, save your changes and exit the editor. From within Windows 95,
click Start and select Shut Down. Select "Restart the computer" and click
OK. When your PC restarts, you'll be greeted by the MS-DOS 7 prompt! To
verify this, execute the VER command. You should see a response similar to
the following:

Window 95. [Version 4.00]

The final step is to create a batch file that will restore your system when
you exit Windows. By default, Windows leaves your system in an unusable
graphics mode. Fixing this requires only that you create a simple batch
program.

First, go to your Windows directory; On most systems, this will be
C:\WINDOWS. Next, create a batch file named WIN95.BAT that contains the
following two commands:

WIN
MODE CO80

Now, when you want to start Windows, use the command WIN95. And when you
exit Windows by choosing Shutdown from the Start menu, you'll be returned
to the familiar DOS prompt.

    Table A: These MSDOS.SYS options let you tailor how your Windows 95
                         system boots and operates.

 BootWin         1 (default)    Starts the MS-DOS 7/Windows 95 system.
                 0              Starts the version of DOS that was
                                installed on your system before you
                                installed Windows 95. The MSDOS.SYS file
                                is renamed to MSDOS.W40 the next time you
                                boot your system after setting this option
                                and the original DOS system files are
                                restored.

 BootGUI         1 (default)    Boots directly into the Windows 95
                                graphical user interface (GUI).
                 0              Boots to the MS-DOS 7.0 prompt. From the
                                prompt, Windows 95 can then be started
                                with the WIN command.

 Logo            1 (default)    Displays the animated Windows 95 logo
                                during startup.
                 0              Disables the Windows 95 logo. You may also
                                disable the logo manually during boot by
                                hitting the ESC key.

 BootDelay=3Dn     2 (default)    Specifies that Windows should wait n
                                seconds after displaying the "Starting
                                Windows" message before booting the
                                operating system. During this time, if
                                BootKeys=3D1, you can press F8 to activate
                                the boot menu.

 BootKeys=3D       1 (default)    Enables the special boot keys F5, F6, and
                                F8 while the "Starting Windows" message is
                                displayed during startup.

                                   * F4 Boots directly into your previous
                                     version of DOS. Enabled only if the
                                     BootMulti option is set.
                                   * F5 Bypasses your CONFIG.SYS and
                                     AUTOEXEC.BAT files, then boots
                                     Windows as
                                     directed by the other options in your
                                     MSDOS.SYS file.
                                   * SHIFT+F5 Bypasses your CONFIG.SYS and
                                     AUTOEXEC.BAT files, then boots the
                                     MS-DOS 7 command prompt regardless of
                                     the other options in your MSDOS.SYS
                                     file.
                                   * F6 Bypasses your CONFIG.SYS and
                                     AUTOEXEC.BAT files, then loads
                                     Windows, regardless of the other
                                     options in your MSDOS.SYS file.
                                   * F8 Activates the boot menu screen.
                                   * SHIFT+F8 Processes your CONFIG.SYS
                                     and AUTOEXEC.BAT files one line at a
                                     time, asking for confirmation before
                                     executing each line.

                 0              Disables the boot keys.

 BootMulti       1              Enables the F4 key during the "Starting
                                Windows" message to boot directly into
                                your previous version of DOS. BootMulti
                                works only if BootKeys=3D1.
                 0 (default)    Disables the F4 key. If BootMulti=3D1, then
                                you can choose option 7 from
                                the boot menu to select your previous
                                version of DOS.

 BootMenu        1              The boot menu appears automatically during
                                system startup.
                 0 (default)    The boot menu appears only if F8 pressed
                                when the "Starting Windows" message is
                                displayed during system startup.

 BootMenuDelay   n (default =3D   Specifies that Windows should wait n
                 30)            seconds after displaying the boot menu
                                before selecting the option specified by
                                BootMenuDefault. Effective only when the
                                boot menu is displayed automatically by
                                setting BootMenu=3D1.

 BootMenuDefault n (default =3D   Specifies that Windows should boot option
                 1)             n by default after waiting BootMenuDelay
                                seconds when BootMenu=3D1. The default
                                option can be overridden by manually
                                selecting another option.

 DisableLog      1              The C:\BOOTLOG.TXT file is not written.
                 0 (default)    A record of all files processed and loaded
                                during boot is written to the
                                C:\BOOTLOG.TXT file.

|[Home]|[About YCCC]|[Scuttlebutt]|[Image]|[Contest Cookbook]|[Links]|
[Feature Articles]|[Site News]|

Send mail to webmaster@yccc.org with questions or comments about this web
site.
Copyright =A9 1996 Yankee Clipper Contest Club
Last modified: December 25, 1996

                                  \\||//
THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT BY:         (.)(.)
Sante Lillo, IK0HBN                   | Home  telephone: +39-761-407543
Localita' Saineta, 3                  | Fax on request : as above
01030 Bassano in Teverina (VT) Italy  | Cell. telephone: +39-338-6825052
E-Mail: ik0hbn@isa.it                 | packet: IK0HBN@I0INU.IUMB.ITA.EU
Home Page: <http://www.qsl.net/ik0hbn>| DX cluster : IK0HBN > I0JBL-6