[ct-user] LPT Keying/DOS V6.2/CT V9.37

KEN CARUSO KEN CARUSO <Ken_Caruso@compuserve.com>
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 19:24:56 -0400

 Time to appeal to the masses here. The bug I am about to describe caused
us
grief at the start of the ARRL DX CW test last Feb. with V9.36. I have
recently down loaded V9.37 and find the problem is still present.

 This issue is present on 2 different laptops and one desktop I tried
this on. All are DEC PC's running native DOS mode, V6.2, and
have been configured to do CW keying via the LPT port. The problem is the
port will lock up full on (like a CTRL-T) as soon as the first key is
pressed which causes CW to be transmitted (e.g. F1 thru F7).
There is no recovery that I can find short of exiting which usually causes
it to stop keying the transmitter.

 Rollback the exact same setup to CT V9.27 and LPT keying works fine.
Rollback the exact same setup to CT V8.39 and I find the same issue.
CW keying via COM1 works fine in all cases. I observed no change in
behaviour running CT from a DOS window under Win 3.1.

 I hauled out the scope to determine if there was any electrical basis
to this. There does not appear to be. Pin 17 (SLCT) asserts H when
CT is loaded, Pin 1 (Strobe) pulses H to L (on V9.27) to create the CW
characters.

 On CT V9.37 (and V8.39) Strobe transitions H to L (approx 5.2V to .2V)
and remains at .2V, with one exception. After about 30 seconds, V8.39 will
clear Strobe (H) and the keying stops. V9.37 stays asserted indefinately
as far as I can tell.

 I did notice ANSI.SYS is required when V9.37 is loaded. Previously I
had run without it. It is now loaded when the PC's boot up.

 I have not seen anyone else complain about this problem.

 Anyone else run into this or any idea's where to look next?

 Ken
 WO1N