[ct-user] WinIntel vrs Linux for CT

Lawrence G. Dobranski & Carol Cantlon Lawrence G. Dobranski & Carol Cantlon" <va3lgd@amsat.org
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 20:14:31 -0500

Some comments about Nate's observations:

1).  I have had to learn in my professional career how to implement device
drivers for a lot of operating systems, including  Linux and WinIntel. None
are  easy and all require a great deal of thought and work (especially if
you have never written one before).  But there are a lot more Linux examples
to refer to, and swipe code from.....and lots of FREE support
available....when compare to all the other O/S I have written device drivers
for.

2)  There are low cost software packages available for Linux that sell in
the $70-$100 range.  CT priced in this area would do well.  I know that true
Linux fans want source code, but we are talking about getting hams
(contesters) to adopt Linux versus purchasing a higher performance WinIntel
machine.  I have Linux screaming along on a 386DX40 with 8 Megs of RAM...a
machine that could not run Win95, Win98 or Win NT. It was cheap, and will
run along time before it is necessary to be scraped because it can no longer
perform. It browses the net faster than my Pentium 200MMX!  Remember Linux
is a true O/S.  There a lots of hams using Linux for TCP/IP over packet
radio, for sat tracking and other activities.

I fully believe that with DOS no longer supported by Microsoft, Linux for
the experimenting ham is the only choice.  Hams traditionally recycle used
or old gear.  386 and 486 computers are now in this category.  They can get
gotten very cheap and together with Linux can meet the needs of most hams.
But it will take the market, us, to ask that product developers, like Ken,
that we would want a Linux implementation....

3) But all said and done if CT is ported to Win95, I will have to upgrade
one of the shack computers...because I like the product not that I like the
O/S.

Nuff said,

73
Lawrence, VA3LGD