[ct-user] CT, Linux, Windows & APIs!

Lawrence G. Dobranski & Carol Cantlon Lawrence G. Dobranski & Carol Cantlon" <va3lgd@amsat.org
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 21:15:24 -0500

Gerry made some interesting observations that made me realize what I have
been missing.  We need standards.  Or as the development community calls
them "Application Programming Interfaces".  They are defined functions calls
to control standard functions.  Windows is full of them.  So is Unix.  Many
of the Internet standards are implemented via APIs.  For example WinSock
which provides "standard" access to TCP/IP services for windows.  Or the
TAPI (Telephone API) for access to modem and telephone services.  Or CAPI
for Cryptographic API...

Ken with help from us could define APIs for:

1) Rig control
2) CW Keying
3) Voice Keying
4) TNC Control
5) Rotor Control
6) Contest Scoring
7) Networking
8) Data file access
etc.

In this way he would never again after to write, for example rig control
software. Instead he would call the API for example to read rig frequency
and band.  The Library that implemented the API for that RIG would then
translate the standard CT Rig API call into a specific rig control
instructions.

In fact if CT used X-windows and was written in portable C, it could be move
from platform to platform with all the hardware interfaces done via APIs.

In Windows APIs are implemented by dynamic link libraries.  Ken would not
have to develop APIs for every rig, or other device.  He would only have to
supply the standard and some test library's.  The rest would be up to us who
like doing software development....

An idea...please comment

Lawrence, VA3LGD