[ct-user] Upgrade woes

alsopb@vance.net alsopb@vance.net
Sun, 6 Sep 1998 12:44:02 -0500

Guys,

I'd appreciate some help in resolving problems encountered with CT
version 9.27 on a new machine.

Symptom: Program loads and you can play with the first set-up screen.
Going to the next screen yields a Page Fault error and out of memory
error.

Here's the info on the machine:

WIN95 machine (233 MHz), 64 Meg Memory, 4 com ports and 2 lpt's.  No
conflicts in addresses or interrupts.

Start-up is done with a special configuration file that has only HIMEM,
EMM386 and Files =50 in CONFIG.SYS and the autoexec.bat file is empty.
These files are written at the last shutdown and the F8 /command mode
used to start the machine.   There is 584 K of DOS memory available

Here are some things I tried:
1) entering the COMTSR's manually one line at a time and then starting
CT. This would work with a new empty file.  A BAT file with the same
commands resulted in failure within CT.   Everything Keyer, antenna
control etc works fine when it started OK.

2) creating a BAT file with pauses between the COMTSR's resulted in
SUCCESS when the contest file is a new one.   Program says room for
400124 more contacts!

3) adding dummy contacts to the file can be done successfully and it
restarts OK.  I've done this for 100 contacts so far.  I have also
changed the type of contest to see if perhaps one of my CTY files is
corrupted.  AOK.

4)  I am successful in reading in only a few old contest files from the
same versions.  Others fail with the same symptoms (especially the
larger ones).

I'm wondering why the pauses are needed between the starting of the
COMTSR's is needed.  I'm also wondering if is going to be solid in the
next contest.  Perhaps some of my old BIN files got corrupted in the
transfer.

Suggestions/ideas?

Brian/K3KO
Vance Net Inc