[ct-user] Re: R1ANF/A

Jim Reisert AD1C Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Wed, 01 Dec 1999 07:03:21 -0500

At 05:17 AM 12/01/1999 -0500, Tom Horton K5IID wrote:

>  BUT...you might be interested to know that I asked the operator at
>R1ANF when I worked him what the QTH was and he said
>clearly "Antartica"...so it would appear that it is not So. Shetlands.

Some of the guys down there don't always identify the country.  I don't
understand why this is.

Here is an excerpt from The Daily DX from September 6, 1999:

R1ANF/A -      SOUTH SHETLANDS - Oleg is currently active from the
                Chinese Antarctic base Great Wall until September 8th.
                QSL via RK1PWA, Nick Shapkin, P.O. Box 73, 164744
                Amderma, Arkhangelskaja, Russia.

Yes, it says until Sept. 8.  However, in the same bulletin on Nov. 9, it
was reported his QTH was *still* S. Shetlands (IOTA AN-010).  Researching
other bulletins indicates he moved from the Chinese to the Korean base,
*still on S. Shetlands".  There is no further information.  Therefore, I
stand by my conclusion that it counts as S. Shetlands.

73 - Jim AD1C

--
Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
http://people.ne.mediaone.net/ad1c/     <---- note new home