[ct-user] radio communication

Jim Pratt Jim Pratt <n6ig@netcom.com>
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 16:29:38 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, David Robbins wrote:

> is being worked on.  we also had a ft-1000 (not d or mp) that would hang
> up the interface then crash the computer.  i think each of the machines
> with ft-1000mp's had to be rebooted 3 or 4 times, but i also had to
> reboot one machine running a ts-870, the ft-1000 crashed 3 or 4 times

Interesting post.  We used 9.37A over the weekend in a two-computer
multi-two situation at K6RC.  Station one was an FT1000D, station two
was an FT1000MP.  Station two computer crashed dozens of times over the
weekend in three different modes:

* the computer would just reboot itself and come back to a DOS prompt;
* the computer would freeze on the CT screen and not do anything at all,
requiring manual rebooting;
* the computer would give a QEMM error screen and require rebooting.

The computer connected to the 1000D suffered no such problems.  Both are
486 DOS only machines with the network between two com ports.  This
failure mode has not occurred before.  Unfortunately, like Dave, we
upgraded CT at the same time the FT1000MP came into the station, so who
knows what the cause is.

It didn't seem to be related to whether the affected computer or radio
was transmitting at the time.  I don't think it was RF related at all,
because I believe it happened also when neither radio was transmitting,
but I am not 100% certain of that.

I had decided not to go to 9.39 due to all the comments about bandmap
functions.

Interesting side note:  the computer and radio have been running by
themselves all day with no crashes.  We will leave it alone for another
day or two in this mode, then reconnect the network cable between the two
computers and turn on the first station...