[ct-user] CT 9.39 Crashes

Charlie Ross, NC1N Charlie Ross, NC1N" <nc1n@arrl.net
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 08:55:24 -0500

I just tried installing CT 9.39 this morning.  While I got it working in
the end, it seems to point to a possible bug in the "registration" logic
that executes the first time CT is executed.

In the scenarios below, the "contesting PC" is a 386-SX 16 with 8 MB RAM
running DOS 6.22.  This PC ran 9.36 and 9.37 for a year with no problems at
all.

Scenario 1:---------------------
Copy the unzipped EXE from the web to my contesting PC, then run CT to
register my name and callsign.  Running it from my normal CT directory, it
crashes before prompting me for my name, giving the error:

Error [35]: Protection Fault in CT.EXE at 0080:3585
code=0000 ss=00A8 ds=00A8 es=00B8
ax=5A00 bx=00C0 cx=0000 dx=00B8 sp=724E bp=2D3B si=008F di=00A5

Tried disabling EMM386 (a tip previously posted here)... no change.
Tried a pristine boot (no config.sys or autoexec.bat)... no change.

Scenario 2:---------------------
Same as scenario 1, but run it from a directory other than my normal CT
directory.

The PC hangs.  CTL-ALT-DELETE didn't work.  Had to reboot using hardware.

Scenario 3:---------------------
Do the registration part on a Pentium running Win 95.  Copy the modified
executable to the 386.  Works fine.

Bottom line: This doesn't sound like the EMM386 problem mentioned
previously, since it occurred with no drivers loaded at all.  The problem
is new since 9.37 (I never used 9.38).  I re-ran my raw 9.37 on the
contesting PC and it seemed to go into the registration process normally.

--Charlie

Charlie Ross
Amateur Radio Operator NC1N
nc1n@arrl.net