[ct-user] Intermittant Hangs

Mike Walker Mike Walker <mwalker@interlog.com>
Mon, 01 Nov 1999 17:08:36 -0500

V9.45
Pentium 100 - 8 M
Windows 95 Dos (not under Windows)
Mouse Port com 1
TNC  com 3
Kenwood TS-850 com 2 & IF-232C
Nettsr
DVP

Nettsr was loaded separately.  We kept having random hangs on this machine.  We tried to isolate it by disabling one thing at time (except the network Nettsr).  We thought that it may be the radio, or the mouse, or the TNC, but no luck.  The network card was a 3Com 3C509.   All the com ports have their own IRQ.

Com cords have RF beads on them.  We even added snap on chokes.  Strange as well for the M/S that we just ran where it would run for hours, and then have it fail twice in 10 minutes.

We had thought that it was the hardware, as we had this problem before, so we built up a new system and had some more of the same problems.   Once I thought that I saw a 'Network received bad checksum' on one of the other  machines before this one hung.  That has to be the first time I have seen a message like that since getting off the serial cards.

The hang is a hard one requiring a power off, or a reset switch.  Has anyone else seen this?  We have seen similar problems with 9.27 and 9.39.  The gut feel is that it is related to the network some how or to the DVP.  The software interrupt for the packet driver is 0x6F to avoid DVP conflicts.

Comments welcome.

Mike
Mike Walker VA3MW
Corbeil Contest Club