[ct-user] CT Support for FT-847

Bob Johnson Bob Johnson <rjohnson@ici.net>
Mon, 08 Nov 1999 15:34:04 -0500

Hi Paul:
Saw your title on your message.  Maybe you can help me out.  There was a Web
Page that the "Design Engineer" for the FT-847 had.  It seem to me that it was
a link off of one of the YAESU Web Pages, USA, UK, or Japan.  The page had a
wealth of information on the FT-847.  There were detailed mods. with photos,
Wave Files so you could listen to the effect of some of the audio and filter
mods. !!!

As far as the FT-847 and CAT goes, there are lots of problems with it.

The first was making the CAT Buss Uni-directional in the initial design.  I
know that this was changed to a bi-directional buss, but many people don't
know
this yet.

The second MAJOR problem is that you can't use the CAT buss and the Auto Ant.
Tuner or your new QRO amp with the built in Ant. Tuner at the same time
because
they use the same I/O line from the CPU and becomes an either/or situation.
This is a major design flaw, what good is a HF rig without an auto ant. tuner
nowdays and what good is without a CAT interface to the loggin program of
choice.

The third thing, more of a "Pet Peave" rather than design flaw, is that in the
UK you got 4M Xmit capibility and here in the US they didn't give us the the
1-1/4M Band (222-225 Mhz).  By the way, did they put a separate ant. connector
on the back of the rig for 4M ???

I hope Yaesu addresses some of the problems and brings out an FT-847A version.
TNX es 73
Bob - WA1OFR
FN42ma