[ct-user] 1000MP problems with CT

Robert L. Shohet Robert L. Shohet" <kq2m@mags.net
Thu, 07 Oct 1999 06:28:56 -0700

Gentleman,

I want to thank so many of you for all your help (more than two weeks
ago!) but working 70+ hours/week and trying to take care of a two month
old baby is EXHAUSTING and doesn't leave time for much else.  (I had to
wake up at 5:30 AM to do the "test"!)

Thanks to WC1M, W0UN, K6SE, HA1AG, K1XM, K1TTT, N3RD, W4MYA, NI6T,
ZL2AMI, N2JT, W9UV, K9ZM and many others. (I apologize to those I have
left out).

After buying the radiochack RS232 tester and putting it in line between
the FT1000MP com-port and the computer com-port here is what I found:

For the FT1000MP that is NOT correctly communicating with the computer:

     TD    RED                  RD     nothing (no light)
     RTS   GREEN                CTS    GREEN
     DSR   GREEN                DTR    GREEN
     CD    GREEN

When I tune the radio, there is NO flicker of lights.
When I use the computer to change bands on the radio, the TD light
momentarily changes from RED to GREEN.
When I use the radio to change bands the computer does NOT respond and
NO lights blink.

For my Kenwood TS940 which IS correctly communicating with the computer:

     TD    RED                  RD    RED
     RTS   GREEN                CTS   GREEN
     DSR   nothing (no light)   DTR   GREEN
     CD    nothing

When I tune the radio none of the light blink, but...
When I use the computer to change bands the TD light momentarily changes
from Red to Green and,
When I use the radio to change bands the RD light monentarily changes
from Red to Green.

The TS940 works fine with the computer and CT, the FT1000MP appears to
RECEIVE instructions from the computer but the computer is NOT receiving
instructions from the radio.

>From these details and comparison, can anyone diagnose the problem and
suggest what is wrong and how to fix it?  All help is appreciated!

Tnx & 73

Bob KQ2M