[ct-user] Serial interface & keying

Steve Dove Steve Dove <dsp@hifidelity.com>
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 17:15:57 -0500

Hi Ron,

Sorry.  I was a little too narrow;  the pins 4 and 7 previously mentioned refer
to the RTS and DTR pins on a 9-pin RS-232, as opposed to their counterparts on
a 25-pin.

It's actually quite common for the RS-232 / TTL level-shifting and inversion to
be done by logic inside the connector shell hanging off those two lines for
power;  it's truly 'orrible, but it works and beats having to independently
power another funny little box somewhere.  Whether such an arrangement would
have enough 'oomph' off just the RTS line, so freeing up the DTR line for
keying, will remain to be seen.

Certainly it seems as though Waldek has an 'all-singing, all-dancing'
combination along these lines happening already.

73,        Steve