[ct-user] LPT Keying Cable Problem

Frank Grossman Frank Grossman <71042.1303@compuserve.com>
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 18:19:10 -0400

The continuing saga...

All attempts to key my IC-765 with the W1WEF keying interface have failed.
W1WEF, Jack, has replaced my interface, and I believe I've followed all
suggestions contributed by users on this list.

So, here's the problem again in the hope that a light bulb will go off in
someone's head this time and point to the correct solution.

I've tried the keying interface with two different computers, two different
interfaces, and two different programs--CT and DX4WIN (demo).  Both computers
and both programs work fine through our com ports on either computer with
either program.

The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried yet is using a different
radio, but we see no reason why this should be an issue since the com port
interface always works.

The specific symptoms are fairly straightforward.  With the interface
connected, the radio comes up key down as expected.  When using a com port
interface, the key-down condition is broken and the radio begins to key
normally.   When using the LPT interface, the key down condition is not
broken and the radio does not begin keying.

I've done all tests with the VOX turned off so I'm only keying the sidetone,
so RF isn't the culprit.

I'm currently using CT 9.50, but don't think this is an issue since I've also
attempted to key the radio using DX4WIN.  I don't know of any TSR's I'm
supposed to load to use the LPT port.

Some people on the list have suggested that the interface has a bad
transistor, or incorrect pinouts, but this doesn't seem likely since Jack
replaced the interface.

If someone is going to be in Brooklyn during their summer travels and wants
to visit my shack and try to figure out what's going on, please let me know.
The shack is located at the callbook address.

Hope someone has an idea!

Frank
wb2bxo@arrl.net