[ct-user] Administrative: formatted mail and attachments

Jim Reisert AD1C Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 17:12:00 -0500

Just as a reminder, the CT-USER reflector will only accept messages that
are sent in plain ASCII text without attachments.  Maybe people have their
E-mail clients set to send formatted mail (Microsoft Outlook calls these
"alternative views").  Here is how to set Outlook and Netscape to send
plain text:

     * To check/change the setting in Outlook/Outlook Express:

       Select the menus Tools, then Options.  Select the Send tab.
       Select 'Plain Text'.

     * To check/change the setting in Netscape Communicator:

       Select the menus Edit, then Preferences.  Under 'Mail & Groups',
       select Messages.  Remove the check from 'By default, send HTML
       messages'.

If your E-mail client attaches virtual business cards, make sure these are
turned off, since they will be detected as an attachment.

The list management software rejects all attachments and other non-text
postings and forwards them to the list owner (me).  I'll just end up
sending the message back to you so you can resend it as plain text - some
of the "formatting" so badly mangles the plain text that I just won't spend
the time fixing it by hand.

Thanks for your cooperation.

73 - Jim AD1C

--