[ct-user] LPT signals in CT

Glenn O'Donnell k3pp@ptd.net
Sat, 6 Oct 2001 11:58:40 -0400

First let me summarize ... UGH!

I'm trying to get my station ready for SO2R and my new Top Ten DX Doubler is
working well in manual mode.  Automatic mode is a problem, but it is the
computer, NOT the DX Doubler.  I'm having some weirdness from my computer's
LPT port for automated control of the DX Doubler.  After a lot of analysis
of the signals on LPT1:, I discovered the following:

- The Radio1/Radio2 switching works according to design on LPT pin 14.

- The CW keying signal on pin 17 doesn't operate, but it does lock high
after the first ALT-. radio switch (not a good thing!  :-).

- The "early PTT" on pin 16 is high from the time I turn on the computer,
hence keying the selected transceiver (default is #2 at power-up).

The computer is an older 486 (Gateway 33 MHz 486 - don't laugh, it's been a
wonderful workhorse up to now).  I tried another old 486 with the same
results.  I'm running MS-DOS 6.21. My business laptop is a modern Pentium
III running Windows 2000.  I know there are certain issues with W2K and I
haven't yet found the time to test there.

I also tried NA and I have similar problems.

Question:  Is there something special I need to do to this computer to fix
this?

TU ES VY 73 de Glenn K3PP (Perplexed Pennsylvanian)