[ct-user] KL7 & KH6 "DX Entity" Confusion

R Johnson k1vu@tmlp.com
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 18:15:56 -0500

After reading the rules (QUIRKS) for the 2002 ARRL 10M Contest in the
Nov. QST (page 114), I'm left a bit confused about the status of Alaska (AK)
and Hawaii (HI) operating as "DX Entities" rather than "US States".

When I log KL7ABC or KH6XYZ with CT they show up on the "Zone Map" and the
"Summary" as states.  When I log SM5XXX it is logged as a country.

When is a "DX Entity" a "State" and when is it a "Country" for ARRL 10M ???

When I read Rule 4.1, it say nothing about AK and HI stations being "DX",
however Rule 4.2 refers to KH2, KP4 (etc) being "DX stations".

Did the write up in QST have it wrong ???  Is it possible that QST should have
been KH2 & KP4 instead of AK & HI ???

Signed "CONFUZED as Usual"

Bob, K1VU
FN42ma

ARRL 10M Rules from the ARRL Web Site
4. Contest Exchange:

4.1. W/VE stations (including Hawaii and Alaska) send signal report and state or
province (District of Columbia stations send signal report and DC).

4.1.1. Novice and Technician Plus stations sign /N or /T on CW. If used, you must
indicate /N or /T on your summary sheet.

4.2. DX stations (including KH2, KP4, etc) transmit signal report and sequential
serial number starting with 001.

4.3. Maritime mobile stations send signal report and ITU Region (1, 2 or 3).