[ct-user] WPX M/S Rules and Contest Software

K2KW k2kw@prodigy.net
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 21:54:33 -0800

> What's the point?
>
> Multipliers in WPX?  Give me a break!  Nearly every qso with a U.S.
station
> is a new prefix.  Just make a multi-2 category and get it over with.

I was involved in a competitive M/S from Jamaica in 2000 & 2001.  The first
was a classic M/S - 1 transmitter, 2 ops.  In 2001, we had a MULT station
per the new rules AND used packet, with 4 ops.

We had a big strategy shift between the 2 years (I analyzed 2000 data to
devise a new 2001 operating strategy).  In hind sight, the addition of a
MULT station was of questionable value IMHO.   That said, in 2001 we did
work 156 more mults than the previous year.

Examining the data: after 5 hours of operation in 2001, we were ahead 127
mults compared to 2000.    From hour 7 through 48, there was only a 19 MULT
gain compared to 2000.

So adding a 2nd station and packet, the entire advantage was essentially
seen in the first 5 hours!  Yes the 2nd station and packet helped in the
early hours, but after all the "CQing mults" had been worked, the MULT
station was essentially unproductive.  After the first 5 hours, most MULTs
were worked by CQing rather than with the MULT radio.

After examining the various differences between the two logs, the biggest
change in score came from a shift in strategy.  Adding the MULT station was
2nd, and packet came in a distant 3rd.

If I was going for a M/S world record, every bit helps.  But if you are
looking for a good time, just go with a single station, and you will still
be world competitive.  The value of a MULT station (from the DX end) was
over estimated when the new rules were created IMHO.  Just one person's
perspective.

Back to CT discussions...

Kenny K2KW