[ct-user] help

Jim White k4oj@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 09 Sep 2002 23:16:44 -0400

I have picked up some smaller pentium units which seem to work great -
they respond to the xcvr changing frequency, etc. than the 486es do...

They are pretty much so free now - keep your eyes and ears open - the
older style machines will allow you to have two comm ports - one for
your xcvr and one for a network or if you do that kind of thing -
packett spot input.

Ask your IT guy if he has any junkers on the shelf - these are so out of
date anymore they are useless in the ham world but run logging programs
just dandy!

THE ONLY REASON TO HAVE A FASTER MACHINE I WOULD THINK IS IF YOU ARE
RUNNING ANTENNA MODELING SOFTWARE WITH REPEATED ITERATIONS...

One local still uses a 386 in the shack and he is a world class contester!

Besides, this is part of the ham tradition isn't it - or is EVERYTHING
checkbook engineered anymore!

CT runs fine on old DOS machines, period... stick a few in your shack as
dedicated machines and forget about it!

73,

Jim, K4OJ