[ct-user] [CQ-Contest] CT as freeware

Al - N1API n1api at cox.net
Sun Apr 6 11:10:38 EDT 2003

Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:

> [...]

Well while you usually don't hear much from me here, I have to chime in
on this.

While I appreciate all that Ken and the group associated with CT have
done to make CT the premium contest package, I got to say that I'm
disappointed that it has been released as freeware.  I've been a long
supporter of CT way back to the early versions when it only supported
a half dozen or less contests and the only way you could update it was
by mail or at the CT booth at Boxboro or one of the major shows.
Though I have only talked to Ken personally a few times, (and he
probably wouldn't know me if he fell over me on the street), I think
that he should have kept the program available to registered users only.
If he wanted to release something, then he could have done a CT Light
with support for only the CQ and ARRL DX contest.  Those who saw value
in his program should be happy to purchase a full version.  I think
that a nominal fee would be sufficient.  It never seems to suprise me
that hams will go out an pay thousands for their radios, computers
and accessories yet cry when they have to pay 50 bucks for a software
program for ham radio.  I'm willing to bet that some of the loudest
voices about bugs will be those that got the software for free.

-73-  Al  N1API