[ct-user] CTWin and serial numbers.

MM0ANT mail at mm0ant.co.uk
Sat Apr 19 13:13:23 EDT 2003

Hi,
The numbers are basically allocated once per contact,
non band/mode specific. The problems caused by all known
logging software is they do not talk to each other properly causing
the same serial number to be issued to multiple terminals. This
creates an awkward situation in logging as each serial should only
be issued once. Having used NA for this and other similar contests
in the past, I understand a work around for it, but this involves entering
a false QSO and going back to edit it; this basically steals a serial to
issue to the station when you eventually work them. It works fine as such,
but this process slows down operation. Writelog also has issues with this
and the work around is to start typing a callsign, then delete it and start
again. Not exactly user-friendly. The Writelog developers basically told us
(The ones who want this fixed) to get lost as they don't care as it's a
Europe thing and only causes problems to multi-station users.

As there are quite a few RSGB (and other) contests using serial numbers
a fix for this operation would be good. I appreciate the user base is quite
small, but still relevant; Look at the amount of IOTA multi-station entries
last year.

Robert
MM0ANT
P.S. Thanks for the Telnet cluster service David. Excellent work.