[ct-user] CT 9.92.001 Slow down, (WAS: CT 9.92.001 and Win95help)

Wilbert Knol w.knol at niwa.co.nz
Wed Dec 17 09:20:58 EST 2003

Minimal hassles with DOS CT 9.92-001 in the ARRL 10 m.
This is on a single PC, logged on to Packet Cluster. No network.

Only one comment: CT stopped responding to keystrokes at one point
Although the ALT-sequences still worked, I couldn't type a callsign.
I was fiddling with packet at the time (ALT-T).
This is later on in the contest. A case of the speed wobbles?  At that
point I re-booted.

In the CQWW-CW we had several crashes, which affected the BIOS clock
on a 3 PC network. Same version of CT, same OS.

With regards to slow response: try disabling master callsign checking.
This is done with a command-line switch, or possibly by renaming the
master callsign file.

If you have a really large master.dat, the look-up slows things down.
If this is the cause, you may find that certain prefixes, of which
there are a lot of in the master.dat, cause longer delays than other
prefixes.

E.g:

P5 = no QRX
JH = long QRX

Another suggestion: incrementally remove memory drivers and device
drivers from config.sys and check CT responsiveness. You may need
disk caching to speed things up. Perhaps you are better off not using
disk caching if you don't have to.

Hope this helps...

Wilbert, ZL2BSJ