[ct-user] V9.90.007 and Yaesu?

Don Godward n7flt at imt.net
Tue Jun 24 10:20:05 EDT 2003

I just read Tim's (W2UI) post about his "fire drill" and his FT-1000.

We were not planning to use my FT-890 for Field Day this year so
initially I didn't check rig control on it with V9.90.007.  However, after
reading his post last week I did so.  It didn't control the rig at all well!
The only thing it would do is allow me to key in a frequency, which
would change the rig's frequency.  But, nothing else in the program
changed so all the band/freq info in the program was out of sync with
the radio.  "Radio Timeout" kept popping up on the bottom of the screen.
That was semi-panic time!  I immediately arranged to use the IC-737 we
are going to use at F.D. -- that works pretty well w/ V9.90.007.  Then I
used a TS-570 with the program.  Rig control for that works VERY well.
So, I tried my FT-890 again:  different computer, different interface cable.
No luck.  Not giving up I tried an FT-840 w/ V9.90.  That works pretty
well.  I also tried just the download/install V9.89 -- that doesn't control
my FT-890, either.  I'm wondering if anyone else is having trouble with the
newer versions and any of the Yaesu radios?

Incidentally, older versions (V9.53 & V9.74) work well with the FT-890.

The order of the day this week is Field Day, and since we are not using
my rig I'll pursue the rig control problem later.  Any thoughts or other
feedback will be appreciated, thanks.

Don,
N7FLT