[ct-user] Finding Six Banders?

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Oct 29 15:36:49 EST 2003

Excel rules, dude...

Open up your cabrillo log file with Excel... it will first tell you it
is not an Excel document and it will ask your help in assigning the
tabular information to the data - you can move the tabs left to night by
clicking your mouse on them and dragging it - note you can also delete a
tab line by double clicking....make those lines where they do not split
up a grouping of log information (i.e. make sure that you have

  |59|

and not

    |  5|9  |

once you have them set up and hit "finish" the log will be columnarized,
right click up on the top on the one one of the column edges and it will
make the columns all just wide enough to accommodate the longest piece
of information in that field - it will be pretty....

And there it is - the column which has the callsigns is your "target"
for further manipulation...

Select sort from the menu bar above and sort by that column's letter...
all the QSOs in your log will be sorted by callsign...you can have a
further subsort when you select so once it groups by callsign it can
then either sort by time or mebbe by frequency...

Start with one of your older logs, try importing it and learning the
buttons to click on - remember to save it someplace else with save AS
some other name ("revA" or somesuch), and you will be fine...

If you wanna get really bold, you can use a logic function to check if
the callsign in the cell up 5 from the current cell to the left has the
same info in it (i.e. you have six lines in a row that have the same
callsign) and if true have it type "SIXER".... then you can save that
file as a different name IN TEXT FORMAT (NOT WORKBOOK) and sort it by
the column that sixer is in.... voila - all your six band QSOd stations
will be grouped together... that same sort could then be second sorted
by callsign and you will get a callbook order output of your six banders...

The alphabetic sort is nice for QSLing duties... you can sort your log
by callsign for when the QSLs hit...instead of jumping around the log
you can find all your QSOs with that station together in one spot.

This can be really interesting stuff... you can also sort your log by
zone received... that makes for some interesting info!  How many zone 25
QSOs, etc...  Or you can count the number of times you changed bands...
or you can... you get the point.

A WRTC winner taught me most of these tricks a few years back, typical
cutting edge stuff - same guy kicks by butt on the pool table and I have
long since stopped trying to find ways to compete with him - hell, he
even picked the FL Marlins months ago...

As for that band violation stuff - if you know you are ok I would not
worry about it - seems that stuff always creeps in from the logging
software... don't think your log will be branded because of it - if the
times support that you were within the letter fuhgetaboutit.

Will you ever operate a DX contest from home again, now that is the hard
question you will have to answer!

73,

Jim, K4OJ