[ct-user] exchange database

RICHARD BOYD ke3q at msn.com
Fri Nov 12 12:19:22 EST 2004

Ken, I'd love for you to, when you get time, add exchange database
capability to CT.  I love CT and will resist changing as long as possible.
Most or all the other main ones seem to have database capability.

For SS, where the exchange is more involved than most others, this could be
really helpful I think.

If you ever do work that up, here's a suggestion:

1.  Not have it auto-fill the blanks, but have it be another window (line)
somewhere above the logging field area.  That way it would automatically pop
up, kind of like the F-12 callsign database info, but wouldn't get in the
way by already being in the fields.

2.  Then again, maybe having them auto-fill would be fine and "typeover"
would make that not potentially annoying.

3.  Or, have it as an option to auto-fill or just be in the window, as
suggested in point 1.

Why this would be helpful:  Every year in SS I am really scraping the bottom
of the barrel for QSOs and there are a lot of QRP stations these days,
sometimes very weak because we're bucking propagation a little bit at times
from a particular QTH to mine.  It would be very helpful to be able to
say -- and probably more so on phone than on CW but on CW too -- "Is your
section SJV, SJV?" and hear back, "Roger, roger," or "QSL, QSL."  With a
weak signal and QSB and QRM and someone else starting to call for the next
QSO, often the signal repeatedly drops out right during the needed info
fill.

And, with logging accuracy being particularly important in SS, having
exchange info to help get it right can make the difference because a few
QSOs can determine who wins or loses.

In jest, N6TR says he hopes I don't change to TR (implying it's an advantage
to use TR).  It's nice to be able to "strike a blow" for CT.  hi.  73 -
Rich, KE3Q